The following interactive slideshow explains the key facts about the European Commission you need to remember.
- Within the EU, the Commission represents the EU as a whole.
- The Commission is accountable to the European Parliament.
- The Commission has the ‘right of initiative’ that is to say it proposes legislation to the Council and the European Parliament which they then decide on.
- The Commission is the ‘executive’ arm of the EU, meaning it is responsible for making sure that EU policies are implemented across the EU and for administering and spending the EU budget.
- In many policy areas the Commission represents the EU on the world stage (perhaps most notably on trade matters).