- Who attends the European Council meetings.
- Why and how the European Council evolved as an institution.
- Since when the European Council is an official institution of the European Union.
- Who is the President of the Council.
- What happens before, during and after meetings of the European Council.
- What is the Open Method of Co-ordination and why it is used.
- How the common positions of the foreign policy of the European Union are represented and by whom.
- How the treaties are negotiated.
- What the characteristics of the European Council are.
Peterson, J., and Shackleton, M. (2012). The Institutions of the European Union. Oxford: OUP.
Puetter, U. (2011). Europe’s deliberative intergovernmentalism: the role of the Council and European Council in EU economic governance. Journal of European Public Policy, 19(2), 161-178. doi: 10.1080/13501763.2011.609743.
Werts, J (2008). European Council. London: John Harper.
General Secretariat of the European Council (2012). The European Council. 50 years of Summit Meetings. Retrieved 31 January from